....because nothing works for too long.
....because one day time outs are effective and the next day Jack is seeking out his time out stool, standing out and singing like he's in the opera.
....because he doesn't understand what "tomorrow" means, so don't tell him you're going to see Mickey "tomorrow" -- because he didn't hear anything after you said "going to see Mickey."
....because it's a constant trial and error that no amount of education or book reading can prepare you for. I know this because I've read a lot of parenting books. Here's what I've learned: It was a waste of time and money because none of that works on my kid.
Books also don't prepare you for the whacky moments either....like smacking a plastic Easter egg off the tee:
....because one day time outs are effective and the next day Jack is seeking out his time out stool, standing out and singing like he's in the opera.
....because he doesn't understand what "tomorrow" means, so don't tell him you're going to see Mickey "tomorrow" -- because he didn't hear anything after you said "going to see Mickey."
....because it's a constant trial and error that no amount of education or book reading can prepare you for. I know this because I've read a lot of parenting books. Here's what I've learned: It was a waste of time and money because none of that works on my kid.
Books also don't prepare you for the whacky moments either....like smacking a plastic Easter egg off the tee:
| Momma's Easter Bunny Baby |
Or demanding that we take the bat and the batting helmet into the mall:
| Love him! |
Or like when he eats more than I do:
It's just in my nature to want to fix issues, check them off my list and move on. So imagine my excitement when time outs work one day, but not the next. I mean, for real, kid?
Jack has a little hitting issue -- it's his way to express his anger when he doesn't get his way. We've been working on it quite a bit lately....and just this week he was swiped at by his friend Mae Mae. He proceeds to tell her "oh, no, Mae Mae. We don't hit."
I almost fell over right there.
Not only were we over hitting, but now he's ready to coach other children? Come on now, kid.
Matt and I were discussing (just between us!) this particularly annoying child that we were both experiencing one day a few weeks back. Matt made the comment that "no one thinks Jack is annoying." I BURST into laughter. I informed him that I am 100% positive that people think Jack is annoying or spoiled or too rough or needs more discipline or all of the above.
Jack has a little hitting issue -- it's his way to express his anger when he doesn't get his way. We've been working on it quite a bit lately....and just this week he was swiped at by his friend Mae Mae. He proceeds to tell her "oh, no, Mae Mae. We don't hit."
I almost fell over right there.
Not only were we over hitting, but now he's ready to coach other children? Come on now, kid.
Matt and I were discussing (just between us!) this particularly annoying child that we were both experiencing one day a few weeks back. Matt made the comment that "no one thinks Jack is annoying." I BURST into laughter. I informed him that I am 100% positive that people think Jack is annoying or spoiled or too rough or needs more discipline or all of the above.
| Nope. Not spoiled at all. |
Matt maintained: "No way. That kid is awesome and funny and the cutest thing ever."
(really experiencing snow in Vail):
(hitting on the ski bunnies in Vail):
| Dinner with Friends. |
Uh huh....that's because he's YOUR kid, honey.
I don't disagree, but let's not be delusional. Other people think he's annoying...ESPECIALLY when he whines for the mountains of crap he doesn't need in Target. (that place is a land mine!)
In any case, we are smack dab in the middle of toddler-hood complete with independence run a muck, being too rough with the older kids at daycare (i.e., he tackles everyone) and the protesting of potty training. Awesome! This kid, though....THIS KID amazes me every day. I feel like he wakes up every day saying something new, understanding new concepts or doing things that I thought were a bit too advanced for him.
And, then there's the cute stuff that I just die for....like when he says "I hold you, momma" -- which is code for "I want you to pick me up, momma."
Or what about asking to go to bed or to take a nap?
"I nee' go sleep now, momma"
WHAT!?
Or, how about when he strips down naked to run in the sprinklers?
....and then finds his Mickey Mouse umbrella to block the "rain"?
He kills me. This kid. OMG.
How will I have enough love for the next one? I hear the love multiplies and I'm BANKING on that, y'all. Because some days I feel like he's my one and only....except that this growing belly reminds me otherwise. And those little kicks inside me as I type this make me know there's more love coming.
Since announcing that we are headed for a house full of boys, we've been full speed ahead on the nursery and clothes planning process. Here's a peak into Baby Schneider's nursery:
Let's be honest, I got all "nesty" and OCD about it and did it all in one weekend....and, well, it's all done. Now Jack goes in there about once every two days to trade out the toys and check on if any of his "stuff" has been placed in the baby's room. For the most part, he has been really good about giving stuff to "baby brother" -- and has even started to include "baby brother" into his prayers (unsolicited!).
![]() |
| The Mice. |
![]() |
| The Duck |
| Meme teaching Jack about the fishies. |
| Little Yankee |
| Gymnastics Pro |


No comments:
Post a Comment