Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I Voted for Trump.

*Disclaimer!   This is not a post about my kids/family/husband.  These are my views...not Jack's, Beau's or Matt's.  Although, I'm pretty sure Beau would give everyone on both sides of this debate the middle finger and ask when the food is arriving*






I'm a college educated, white woman with an impressive corporate career.


I'm the Inclusion and Diversity lead for my business unit at my company.

I voted for Trump.

I held my nose and I voted for Trump.

Seeing this craziness on social media and tradtional media outlets has been astonishing and eye opening.  In fact, one post said that “you” were disgusted by anyone that would vote for him.  Good to know.  My advice to you is to start listening.  You were so busy and so loudly denouncing this man that you thought you knew...and putting this woman on a pedastal made up of false fears....that you stopped listening for the real concerns of the American people.

The truth is...I didn't know I was going to vote for Trump until 2 weeks ago.

I didn’t have signs in my yard.  I wasn’t vocal about it.  I didn’t answer online polls or exit polls.  I didn’t want to lose friends over it…and if I lose a friend now, then we weren’t really friends anyway.

I am the silent majority. 

My parents are the silent majority.

Many of my family members are the silent majority.  (and some, not-so-silent majority)

We were raised to not talk about politics, religion or money…because opinions are strong and sometimes divided.  And we can all be friends on so many other levels than those three topics.

So when you categorize Trump voters as “racists” or “bigots” or “rape supporters” – you’re talking about me.  You’re talking about my family.  Does that really sound right to you?  Can you look me in the eye and tell me that you truly believe I’m one of those types of people?  Do you truly believe in your heart of hearts that I’d vote for someone that I really believed to be a racist/bigot/rapist?

No.  You can’t.  You don’t. 

So, stop.

JUST STOP.

Stop generalizing.  

Everyone that voted for Trump is not a racist, nor are we "blind" to his shortcomings or the many flaws of the American democracy system.  In that same vein, everyone that voted for Hillary is not a feminist.

While I don’t feel that I owe you an explanation, let me tell you how I got to my conclusion on which one of these VILE human beings to vote for....because if I just reach ONE of you with my words, maybe we can find our common ground and we can move forward.  Maybe we can even remain friends?

I turned off the television and social media news outlets.  

I stopped listening to debates and rallies.

I stopped scrolling through FB and IG…  I only posted pictures of my family, my dinners and my 
rants about airports, college football and the Cubs. 

I did take every single “test” that I could find online…answering 100s of questions about social 
issues, immigration issues, tax issues, etc.

I did read their plans.  I read all 100+ pages of Trump’s plan for America.  (summary version here:  https://assets.donaldjtrump.com/_landings/contract/O-TRU-102316-Contractv02.pdf)

I also read Hillary’s plan.

I did this due diligence because I had to in order to vote my conscience.  

Do I believe that that Trump is an asshole/DB/*insert derogatory term here*?  YES

Do I believe he is inappropriate, insensitive and un-politically correct?  YES

Do I believe he needs polishing?  YES

Do I believe he is going to build a wall?  NO

Do I believe that he’s going to crack down on criminal illegal immigrants and keep our country safer?  YES

Do I believe that he hates women?  NO

Do I believe that he stands for "rape culture?"  NO 

Do I believe that he hates any minority class?  NO, however, see above on his insensitivity.  

Do I condone his inflammatory statements?  NO

Do I believe in or condone the mis-treatment of any minority class? NO 

Do I believe that he’s going to fix some of the things that I think are wrong with this country?  YES

Do I believe in his plan for America?  YES

Do I believe that all of our issues lie with a President? NO

Do I believe that he played on the emotions of right wing extremists?  YES, however, didn’t Hillary do the same?

Do I believe in "voting the party line?" NO

Do I believe that he represents change from typical Washington nonsense?  YES


I voted for CHANGE.  I voted for a non-politician that was going to shake things in a BIG way.

I believe that he says what he says in order to swing the pendulum WAY too far in one direction so that it lands in the middle.  Good leaders do this all the time.  We push our teams (i.e., our Country) to shoot past a target so that we ensure that we hit the target.

My entire life, I've been shamed and mocked for being a Republican.  I've been made fun of for my patriotism and allegiance to this country.  

Let's be clear - I believe in many things you think I do and some that may surprise you....like our right to bear arms (people kill people, not guns), capitalism, racial equality, gender equality, marriage equality, birth control, a woman's right to choose, more money for public schools and welfare.  I just think there's a time and a place for some of those programs.  

For example, my religious beliefs intersect with my "right to choose" belief and I essentially hope that all babies are born unless there are known traumatic issues.  
For example, welfare is broken.  Those who don't deserve it, have it...and those that need it, don't.  
For example, Obamacare is not working.  I mean, what else ya got?  'Cause this ain't it. 

The bottom line is this … When you call an entire MASS of people “deplorable,” when you undermine their well-being, when you tell them they are dumb/uneducated, when you tell them they are small town and have no “worldly views,”

….WHEN YOU TELL THEM THAT THEIR UNHAPPINESS IS UNFOUNDED….

…..they WILL rise up and make you pay for it.  You should know this, Hillary.  Isn’t that your story?  Isn’t that the story of women and minorities in general?  History has taught you better, hasn’t it? 

You can only call small town Americans “dumb and uneducated” for so long.  To your surprise, they were smart enough to find their way to the polls – just when you thought they wouldn’t….or maybe couldn’t.


If you don't believe me...maybe you'll believe one of your own?  He uses a lot more F bombs than I do (and that's saying a lot)...but I agree with his points.  If you want "us" to believe in "your" way of thinking - talk to "us."  Debate "us." Don't insult "us" because that's not getting any of us any where.



I believe Bernie Sanders said it best today:
“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids - all while the very rich become much richer.
To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”
My parents are not college educated, but that doesn’t make them dumb.  They are small town America.  They are hard workers.  They are gun owners.  They are not racists.  They pay taxes, follow rules, respect authority….and they have a deep love, respect and admiration of our country. That’s how I was raised. 

When Obama won his second term, I was upset…appalled, even, that we’d let something continue that I didn’t believe was getting us anywhere.  My parents were QUICK to remind me…  You respect the position, even if you don’t respect the person.  That’s how I was raised.

And, I don’t need a woman president to tell me that I can shatter glass ceilings…I shatter them every single day without lying, cheating and name calling.  That’s how I was raised.

If you – Hillary – thought for ONE SECOND that these people that you’ve mocked for months (years?) were going to stand by and let you lie, cheat and name call your way back into the White House…. well, I’m guessing you must be feeling that sting today.

Nope.  I’m not a party line voter.  I voted for Obama in his first election.  And NOPE – I’m not a sign waving, rally attending, fanatical follower of Trump.  However,

We ARE the silent majority.  And, we have spoken.

No one is going to tolerate Trump’s flaws …. Or any level of racist/sexist/xenophobic/anti-environment policies.  Republicans nor Democrats.

Now let’s get to work on what we can impact – raise your children to be and encourage your friends to be compassionate, kind, thoughtful and considerate.  Stop teaching hate.  Start listening.  Stop generalizing.  Start tolerating that which you don’t yet understand.  Teach and encourage each other to be respectful of rules, authority, an appropriate way to voice concern and make change thru peaceful protesting.  

And, let me remind you what my parents and SO MANY of my Democratic friends told me when Obama was elected to a second term:  Respect the position, even if you don’t respect the person.

Try to view each other through the most generous lens that you can, because ultimately… 


"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike." – Angelou

8 comments:

  1. Well said, well written. Rock on, my fellow deplorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I was unable to pull the lever for Trump myself, everything you've said here absolutely resonates with me. You've hit the nail on the head as to why people came out and shocked the world. Normal, everyday Americans with simple, homegrown traditional beliefs are *fed up* with being made out to be racist misogynist monsters just because they don't vote Democrat. So amen, and amen to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping me understand why he won because of the silent majority. I am not happy about a Trump presidency, but I do hope he will do a good job. I do respect the position even if I don't respect the person. At least the conversations have been started. There are obviously some issues that need to be addressed and resolved in this country in order to truly move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for helping me understand why he won because of the silent majority. I am not happy about a Trump presidency, but I do hope he will do a good job. I do respect the position even if I don't respect the person. At least the conversations have been started. There are obviously some issues that need to be addressed and resolved in this country in order to truly move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donde... agreed. Well written and well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So...have you read the accounts of attacks made in trumps name since Tuesday? I know not all trump voters are racist, etc., but you all voted for the man who has apparently given license to angry bigots around the country to attack whomever they see an opportunity to attack who happens to be an "other" that Donald Trump at some point in his campaign demeaned. Do not paint me as some blind Hillary supporter, I blame the DNC for pushing forward with their coronation that no one else wanted. The only thing more I will say is that if Hillary had won, there wouldn't be random attacks by feminists against men going on, but trump won and now bigots across the country are harassing and attacking minorities of every kind. I hope that thought helps you sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you serious??????? I have NOT seen any "attacks made in Trump's name", as you state. What I HAVE SEEN are multiple different videos of people who voted for Trump being violently assaulted simply because they voted for or supported President Trump. Of course when a group of minorities attack a white person it doesn't get national media coverage.

      Delete
  7. This entire blog is culturally insensitive and most of the statements made by the person claiming herself as "head of diversity" have zero cultural sensitivity. I would be very afraid to work for or support any company she is affiliated with. I'm truly appalled and offended as an American citizen, to read something this negative and insensitive from a woman who leads diversity for any company. You are yet another example of alternative facts. #fakenews #falsereality

    ReplyDelete